31 Jul Create your life, without feeling selfish
Balance your dreams with your family
“No more distractions, it’s time to be selfish” – unknown
Over the years, I have had selfish remarks thrown my way as I live in pursuit of my own personal running and career goals.
I have had people tell me that they can’t be selfish like me, when I talk to them about taking care of themselves or pursuing their goals.
People say it to me, I hear it and I take it but I don’t allow myself to accept it.
I will never accept the fact that looking after my own health and wellbeing is selfish. I would never accept that for my daughter, I would never accept that for anyone else I love and care about.
It’s not selfish, it’s imperative.
Somewhere over the years, society has created this distorted idea on what it means to be a mother, father, even human. And once we become parents, my health, my dreams, my goals and my wishes are to be thrown away, just like that,
Well, I unapologetically say BS to that!
The dictionary definition of selfish, is lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure.
I definitely do not show lack of consideration for other people in keeping myself healthy, happy and well. I do it with them and for them.
So, how do we change this ridiculous idea that we no longer matter and if we do give ourselves a fleeting thought that we are not selfish.
- Don’t make looking after yourself a choice – Why does it need to even be a question as to whether you nurture your own health and wellbeing? Choose to realise that your health matters and without your health you have nothing.
- Embrace the idea of Me Too – (not the global metoo movement) but rather that you are just as important as your family and friends.
- Educate those around you – Help the people in your circle understand why your own personal goals are important to you. And learn to embed them into your daily routine so that it becomes a thing that you do, just like work or going to school.
- Banish those self beliefs that your dreams do not matter – I have learnt over the last few years that, it does not matter how old you are, how good or bad you are or whether it is possible or not. Chasing dreams and having goals is what helps us come alive, find meaning, feel fulfilled and ultimately boost our wellbeing.
- Embrace your passion wholeheartedly and watch those around you flourish with you – Time is finite! There is no time like today to embrace your passion. The ripple effect of having a passion flows directly and indirectly to the people around you. They see you happy and they want some of that “passion” happiness.
- Know that selfish comes in different shapes and forms – saying no to something because it isn’t that important to you is not selfish, its critical if you want to live life how you want to live.
Natalie Moore is a Mindset Coach who loves helping people live a fulfilling life. If you would love to know how you can work with Natalie, check out her coaching options here